Tuesday, June 21, 2011

12/14/2010


Still resting

Posted Dec 14, 2010 10:38pm
Walt did his level best to rest most of the day, although I would be lying if I said he needed a lot of encouragement. I can tell his Creatinine and BUN are high because he just has no energy, feels crappy and wants to sleep all the time. I can only imagine how he must feel. I equate it to having poison running through my veins and that's a little unnerving.
Technology is a wonderful thing, from this website to cell phones. The transplant coordinator and I keep in touch mostly via text and she sends orders to me. LOVE IT. We got word this afternoon that the Nephrologist (kidney specialist) wants him to do 'stat' labs tomorrow morning. I asked the RN if they expected to see improvement or if they were looking for declining function. She said both but that she expects the creatinine should be elevated due to the dye from yesterday's contrast. So, we should get results sometime tomorrow afternoon. That will determine if we need to go back to Sacramento on Thursday. Honestly, I don't know why we would have to but that's the plan. The way they were talking last week before the ultrasound, there was nothing really to do except monitor his numbers and provide the local dialysis center/nephrologist support.
I don't really think we'll know anything positive until next week, I think if we hear anything soon, it will be not so good news because the kidney function can't recover that quickly, but it can decline that quickly.
Kasie told me today when she got home from school that she wishes she could do some of the tests or surgeries for her dad. She said "Mom, he's been through so much". Wow I really didn't know what to say. Sometimes I think my kids are sad about their dad's illness but then I think back, and the two youngest have never known anything else. Brad, the oldest got to have his dad well.. and he's old enough to understand what is going on and how well his dad can be.
If this procedure worked, we are planning a camping trip which is something we haven't been able to do since 2004, when his kidneys failed. Being outside, enjoying the surroundings is something we really miss. We couldn't go this summer because of his immune system, so by next summer his immunosuppressant drugs will be decreased.
So, we wait again.
We're all going to cuddle up and watch a Charlie Brown Christmas special and forget about all this health stuff. It's time for family now.
Good night!
~Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment