follow up ultrasound
Posted Dec 8, 2010 2:38am
I struggled trying to understand the events of the last few days today, Walt was pretty quiet. We had decided not use the "D" word and just refer to it as "treatment".
As I was leaving for my Dr. Appt today, I got a phone call from the transplant coordinator who met with a handful of vascular surgeons. The initial report from the ultrasound did indicate an AV fistula which is (for those of you who don't watch Grey's Anatomy) a joining or connection of and artery to a vein - it isn't supposed to do that. Anyhow, both Walt and I saw that on the report, Walt questioned it but I really didn't pay much attention because I know there is a graft of the renal artery and the renal vein in order for the new kidney to work. Having only some knowledge of the process really puts you at a disadvantage.
So the result of the possibility of the AV fistula is that there isn't sufficient blood getting to the kidney, it's just getting some of the blood and not able to clean it. The rest of the blood is bypassing the functional units within the kidney.
So the result of the possibility of the AV fistula is that there isn't sufficient blood getting to the kidney, it's just getting some of the blood and not able to clean it. The rest of the blood is bypassing the functional units within the kidney.
So we were asked to come back down to Sacramento tonight to do another more focused ultrasound to see what next steps are appropriate. If the fistula is confirmed, they will embolize the fistula; this will not require surgery but rather a procedure that is done within the Invasive Radiology department. The end result of all this is no "D" word and we're back in business.
Man this has been a heck of an E-ticket ride. The ups have been up, and the downs have been down.
We did tell Kasie what is going on, being 9 she knows something is wrong but doesn't understand it all. We didn't go into detail, but she now knows something more serious is happening. Joe, being 5 doesn't know much about what's going on, other than he gets to spend another night with Maria :o)
We should get results from the 2nd ultrasound around 9 or 10 tomorrow morning. I'll update then.
Now I think I'll turn into the comfy bed that has been calling my name since we checked into the hotel.
Sleep well, I certainly hope to!
~Susan
No comments:
Post a Comment